Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What do you get when you put 1H and 1N together??

...SWINE FLU!!

Unfortunately, this past week's events have thrown a curve ball into this school year. Swine flu has come to Korea and has hit pretty hard. So hard, in fact, that last week our school had 8 confirmed cases from random swab tests,and before we knew it we were shut down, news people flooded the school, and we, the staff, were given a nice, week long quarantine to our apartments.

You'd think it would be nice.. all that time with no responsibility? Well, I think I might have been indoors a BIT too long, cause I'm noticing my fish staring at me ALL THE TIME! I'm not even making this up.. I'll look up and my two fish are just floating there looking DIRECTLY at me and then all of sudden they look away awkwardly as if they're thinking "oh. uhh. I wasn't staring."

Seriously... I blame the quarantine.

However, it's brought about some pretty good things, in fact. Like, the beginning of re-watching ALL seasons of LOST. (I haven't gotten TOO far.. but I'm working on it.) Also, there's a heightened sense of cleanliness around these parts. My inbox has been FLOODED with do and don'ts and H1N1 preparation. There's anti bacterial gel in literally every nook and cranny. (We even got some antibac machines installed.. that spray.. MIST!! ..yeah.. sweet, I know.) We're taking temperatures nonstop. (This morning.. I woke up early and took all students temps as they arrived back on campus after the long "break." Those ear thermometers.. *shudder* for some reason I have a problem with sharing anything that goes in my ear..) And finally a new appreciation of mask wearing. Like the one in this picture.



That's me on the bus ride taking dorm students to their hometowns.. all over Korea.

It's been an interesting week for sure. Our school handled it really well and thankfully all students and faculty are recovering and gearing back up for the rest of the year. It's scary.. the germs and sickness and all.. but we serve a God who's bigger than sickness and who is CONSTANTLY attentive to our prayers. How awesome!

Please be in prayer for those still recovering, protection against future outbreaks, and a smooth transition back into a somewhat different kind of year.

Hugs, blessings, and DIAL soap,

Sarah

No comments: